Parkland Community Living and Supports Society exists to improve the quality of life of children and adults with developmental disabilities through individual choice, dignity and rights.
In support of Parkland Community Living and Supports Society's Mission Statement, the following values serve as a philosophical reference to guide the Board of Directors and all staff in the development and delivery of community supports and services:
- Citizenship - which is based on the principles of individual value and worth, individual rights and freedoms, and equality which recognizes the physical, mental, social and spiritual needs of individuals;
- Choice - which empowers individuals to make real choices about real options in life, including where they live and what they will do;
- Support - which implies that every individual, regardless of their disability, is entitled to receive those technical, personal and financial supports which are necessary to live as independently as possible within the community; and
- Equality of Opportunity - which ensures that individuals with developmental disabilities have, wherever possible, equal access to those aspects of life which are often taken for granted including employment, their own homes, social interaction and friendship, and access to generic community services.
The objectives of Parkland Community Living and Supports Society support the following principles:
- To promote the personal development and advancement of individuals with developmental disabilities and to promote the education of their families and the community to adopt the guiding values of the Society;
- To conduct developmental projects that will advance the status and rights of adults and children with developmental disabilities, and their families in developing countries or countries in crisis;
- To deliver direct services, personal supports, and programs to individuals with developmental disabilities including, but not limited to homes with residential staffing supports, educational programs, foster care, independent living, in-home family supports, recreational and social programs;
- To confer and cooperate with other organizations and agencies that work with and advocate on behalf of individuals with developmental disabilities, including the Alberta Association for Community Living, The Alberta Council of Disability Services, The Canadian Association for Community Living, and Inclusion International;
- To acquire lands by purchase or otherwise, to erect or otherwise provide a building or buildings and to provide facilities for residential services, education and programs which facilitate the well-being of individuals with developmental disabilities; and
- To receive money and funds by way of contribution, donation, subscription, legacies, grants or any other lawful methods, and to receive gifts of property of any description for, or towards, the Objectives of the Society.